Capacity Issues & Ward of Court

Consulting a solicitor regarding adult wardship and capacity queries

Padhraic Harris & Co. Solicitors have many years of experience dealing with Wardship Applications, legal difficulties arising out of capacity issues, and in particular problems that can arise with respect to Dementia.

Contact Us

Making a Ward of Court application

At present, where, because of a lack of mental capacity as a result of Dementia or other causes, a person is unable to manage their affairs it may be necessary to apply to have that person made a Ward of Court. Sometimes this may not be possible. This is a difficult time for you and your family and our assistance can hopefully help you get through the difficulties that can arise.

What is a Ward of Court?

A person can be made a ward of court by the President of the High Court to protect the person and their property, where a person lacks the capacity to do so themselves. A ‘committee’ is then appointed to manage the Ward’s affairs. The committee may be a family member or in certain circumstances the General Solicitor for Minors and Wards of Court. If you would like more information on what happens when a person becomes a Ward of Court, contact one of our solicitors.

Who can make an application? 

Typically a family member or friend can instruct a solicitor to make an application for a person to be made a Ward of Court. We recommend contacting one of our solicitors to discuss the process of making a Wardship application. Talk to our team of solicitors who have a wealth of experience dealing with capacity issues.

Contact us to speak to one of our solicitors

Contact us using the form below or telephone Claire or Padhraic at 091-562062 or 091-562066.

Consultations are available at our Galway office or can be arranged to suit you in Oughterard.

Contact Us